Learn the statistics, symptoms, and treatment of Scoliosis!
Scoliosis affects an estimated six to nine million people in the United States according to the American Association of Neurological Surgeons. It can develop in infancy or early childhood, but the primary age of onset usually is 10-15 years old. Many times the cause of scoliosis is unknown.
What is scoliosis?
Scoliosis is a problem with the curve in the spine. If the curve is severe and formed in the shape of the letter “S” or “C”, it can cause pain or make breathing difficult. Early detection is important so your doctor can monitor if the curve is getting worse as your child grows.
What are the symptoms?
Scoliosis most often causes no symptoms until the spinal curve becomes large. Here are a few early signs you might notice:
- Your child has one shoulder or hip that looks higher than the other.
- Your child’s head does not look centered over the body.
- Your child has one shoulder blade that sticks out more than the other.
- Your child’s waistline is flat on one side, or the ribs look higher on one side when your child bends forward at the waist.
How is it treated?
Many cases are mild and may not need treatment.The doctor will check the curve of your child’s spine every 4 to 6 months. If the curve gets worse, your child may need to wear a brace. Sometimes in severe cases, surgery may even be recommended.
The SpineCor brace has been proven to treat Scoliosis in adults and children. Here are some of the benefits you may experience from wearing the SpineCor brace:
- Treats Scoliosis while maintaining a complete range of motion
- Eliminates pain
- Is undetectable when worn beneath regular clothing
- Halts Scoliosis before it gets worse
- Eliminates the need for surgeries
- The only non-surgical method proven in randomized, published clinical studies
- Is reimbursed by some insurance plans
Dr. Corey Bowden is a specialist in Scoliosis and an accredited SPINECOR provider. Please contact him with any concerns you have about Scoliosis or any other back or neck pain you are experiencing!